Thursday 25 January 2007

xbmc-strm-collection started on code.google.com

Do you like to watch streaming video files on your XBOX? Well, than certainly XBMC is the right solution to do this, as it supports many streaming video and audio formats. But still the question remains where to get all those stream sources from to play on your XBOX... Certainly there is wwitv.com and channelchooser.com to name some of the bigger directories for streaming media resources. But are these resources tested for working with XBMC?

As I did realize that there is only a handful of resources that are actually being tested to work with XBMC I thought about creating a one-stop solution for all you XBMC users out there to get working and up-to-date streams for XBMC. This is why I founded xbmc-strm-collection on code.google.com. See this as my way of giving back to the XBMC community that gave me many hours of pure pleasure entertainment with my XBOX.

So what is actually in it? Right now there's about 60 working and tested channels in .strm format (ready-to-use in XBMC) from 11 countries. Not much, but I just started and I will be continuing to extend and to keep this collection up-to-date. If you feel that any particular country or channel is missing, just go ahead and post me a note.

So how do you get it? All the .strm files are located in an SVN. Basically you need an SVN client (e.g. Tortoise SVN) to check out the .strm files to your PC's hard drive. A basic tutorial of how to do this is found here (Look for the section "The checkout operation"). From there you should ftp the .strm files to your XBOX and play them in XBMC. If you have any trouble with this, don't worry: Within the next few days there will be an addition to the project's wiki where you will find an exact description of how to checkout the .strm files from the SVN and get them to your XBOX.

Of course I could always need help! If you notice that any channel is broken/down post me a note wherein you describe the broken channel and, if possible, the error message you got. If you want to team up with me post me a note aswell, wherein you describe what you can provide for the project.

So well, not much more to say right now, have some fun with your XBOX...

No comments: